Overview: In this blog, we will troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 404, a runtime error. We also explain the significant reason for the occurrence of the error while operating QuickBooks.
QuickBooks Error 404 can occur in many scenarios while updating or getting into QuickBooks. When this error occurs, QuickBooks stops working or crashes immediately. This error can lead QuickBooks users to many other issues hindering their accounting work. So, this needs to be settled as soon as possible. We have a query from a QuickBooks user who is facing the same; let’s hear it:
“Hi, I am Ervy; I have been using QuickBooks for the past few years. But when I update my QuickBooks, an error message appears on the screen – QuickBooks update error 404. Why am I facing it? Can anybody resolve my issues? As it hampers my work.”
The QuickBooks error code 404 can occur in different cases due to various reasons; you have an idea with the following:
Also, read : quickbooks downloads
Significant Causes for QuickBooks Error 404?
When the error 404 occurs in QuickBooks, the given are the primary causes:
- QuickBooks program gets damaged or corrupted.
- Incomplete or corrupt installation of QuickBooks.
- Changing the location of the company file.
- QuickBooks becomes malicious and removes the company’s accessibility.
- Windows registry gets corrupted when due to some changes.
- In case of needing a proper internet connection.
- QuickBooks essentials files are missing.
- Cache and cookies are also a reason for the error 404.
- The server or page doesn’t sync properly
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 404
- QuickBooks shutdowns without notifying.
- Error 404 pops up on the screen.
- Keyboard and mouse respond slowly.
- Computer freezes for a while.
- Server page will not open, but the URL will be present.
Also, read : QuickBooks Error Code H202
How to Tackle QuickBooks Error 404?
Solution 1: Login Computer as Admin
- Go to Start, choose Settings, and then Accounts.
- Now, choose the Admin account (owner one) under Family and Other users.
- Then, choose Change Account Type.
- Under the Account Type, click on the Administrator option and click OK.
- At last, sign in with the Admin account.
Solution 2: Check the Internet Speed
- First, open a browser, type any URL or google.com, and check how fast it opens.
- If it takes more time than usual, refresh the internet settings and try to get it.
- Still does not open; turn off your Wireless router, wait for a while and then Turn it on and reassess the URL.
- Also sets Internet Explorer as your default browser.
- Update your browser to the latest release.
- If you still face the same, run an online Internet Speed check to check the speed; if it slows, contact the internet service provider.
Solution 3: Add Intuit as Trusted Site
To fix the QuickBooks error , add Intuit.com as a trusted site with the following:
- Firstly, open your Internet Explorer and go to Tools.
- Secondly, choose Internet Options.
- Then, choose the Security tab, followed by Trusted Sites.
- After that, add “Intuit.com” or quickbooks.intuit.com to the list of Trusted sites.
- Now, click on Close and then OK.
- In the next step, log out of the Company File and close QuickBooks.
- Lastly, Reassess the QuickBooks and company file to check for the error 404.
Solution 4: Update QuickBooks
Updating QuickBooks fixes the QuickBooks error 404; the following are the steps:
- First, go to the Help menu.
- Then, choose Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, click on Update Now and choose to Get Updates.
- After the update, close and open QuickBooks again.
- When asked, click on Yes to install the updates.
- After the installation, reboot your computer.
Also, read : quickbooks error h505
Solution 5: Repair QuickBooks
When updating doesn’t fix the error 404 in QuickBook, then repairing will fix it. Follow the given steps:
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run command.
- Now, type appwiz.cpl in the run field and click OK.
- Next, choose QuickBooks from the program list.
- Then, right-click on QuickBooks and choose Change.
- After that, click on the Repair process.
- After the repair, relaunch QuickBooks and check for the error.
Solution 6: Clear Cache and Cookies
Browser cache and cookies can lead to the QuickBooks error 404. So, clear them with the following:
- Internet Explorer: press CTRL + Shift + P
- Google Chrome, press CTRL + Shift + N
- Safari: press Command + Shift + N
- Mozilla Firefox: press CTRL + Shift + P
Solution 7: Reconfigure System Settings
- Open QuickBooks and then Company Files.
- Now, perform the operation in which you get the error 404.
- Then, log out of the company file and also close QuickBooks.
- After that, update Windows and reboot the computer.
- In the next step, go to Internet Explorer>>Tools>>Internet Options>>Go to the Advanced tab from Settings.
- Lastly, save all the settings and then shut the program.
Solution 8: Perform Clean Installation
If none of the above solutions works out with the error, perform a clean installation of QuickBooks. First, uninstall QuickBooks from the computer and then reinstall it with the latest version of the product.
Call of Action
The above-given solutions can help fix the QuickBooks error 404, which can be due to various reasons mentioned in the blog. To not get this error 404, constantly update the Windows and QuickBooks. Also, install QuickBooks with the Admin account without any program running in the background. However, if the error persists after following the solutions, contact our ProAdvisors to settle the error permanently. Thank You!