QuickBooks has rapidly made its presence felt as a great accounting software among small and medium organizations. To leverage its powerful features, you need to ensure a successful installation of the software on your system. The program can be installed on two or more computers via its multi-user mode features. This article will give you detailed instructions on how to install QuickBooks on single and multiple computers. The process may seem a long one but it’s essential for every person who needs to simplify their accounting tasks.
How to Download and Install QuickBooks on Your System
In order to install the software, you must first download it. In the following sections, you will find how to download and install QuickBooks Desktop.
Steps to download QuickBooks Desktop
The first step to downloading QuickBooks is to visit Intuit’s website. Open the Download page there and use these steps.
- You will find a form on the Download page.
- Here, there will be three options, the country, your QB Desktop version, and the option to choose your desired version.
- After that, tap the ‘Search‘ button below it.
- On the Download page, click ‘Download.’
- The software installation file will begin downloading in your desired location.
- After that, launch File Explorer.
- Look for the installation file with the .exe extension.
Also, read : QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
How to install QuickBooks
After downloading QuickBooks Desktop, prepare for the installation process. Ensure that you have the license and product number with you during this time.
- Launch the QuickBooks.exe File in your system.
- Go by the on-screen instructions.
- Accept the terms of the software license and choose ‘Next.’
- Input the product and license number and tap ‘Next.’
- You will now need to choose a specific type of installation.
- Custom and Network Install
- Choose this if you host the File on the server or setting up on a multi-user network.
- Click ‘Next.’
- Now, tap ‘How you use QuickBooks.’
- Look for a location to save the QuickBooks file.
- Place a tick in the box asking you to open the software after the installation completes.
- Tap’ Finish‘ to exit the window.
- Express Install
- Choose this option for doing QuickBooks Install if you want it on a single system or are a new user.
- Hit ‘Next‘ after choosing this type of installation.
- Tap the ‘Install‘ button.
- After the installation process completes, tap ‘Open QuickBooks.’
- Lastly, click ‘Finish.’
After QuickBooks Desktop installs, you will need to activate it. In fact, you will be prompted by QuickBooks to do so.
- Open QuickBooks.
- Tap the ‘Help‘ menu.
- Choose ‘Activate QuickBooks Desktop.’
- Follow the steps to activate the solution.
- Now, you can start using the program.
How to Use QuickBooks on Multiple Computers?
Setting up QuickBooks on multiple computers is ideal for those wanting to share their QB Desktop with many team members. For it, you need to configure a multi-user network.
1. Steps to set up QB Desktop on a multi-user network
To set up QB Desktop on a multi-user network, you need to install QuickBooks Desktop on your specific server system. Now, adhere to these steps.
- Choose ‘Custom and Network Install.’
- Now tap ‘I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop‘ on this computer. Also, tap ‘I’ll be storing…‘
- Now adhere to the guidelines that appear to complete the installation.
Also, read ; quickbooks download
Mapping in network drive in Windows
Through mapping, you quickly gain access to files via the shared storage.
- Tap ‘This PC‘ in your Windows system.
- Choose ‘Map a network drive in the ‘Computer‘ tab.
- Choose any unused drive. Then tap ‘Browse.’
- Go to the place where you have stored the QB company file.
- Lastly, tap ‘OK.’
- Now, re-open the QB company file from the newly created mapped drive.
Modify folder permission
The folder with your company files should have permission to remain on your network. Begin by performing these actions.
- Restart your system.
- Open Advanced Boot Window by hitting f8.
- Select ‘Safe Mode and hit Enter.
2. Configure folder and Window access permission for sharing company file
- Check whether the permissions are rightly given.
- Right-tap the company folder and select ‘Properties.’
- Now tap ‘Advanced.’
- Pick ‘QBDataServiceUserXX‘ and tap ‘Edit.’
- Ensure that the following settings are configured to ‘Allowed.’
- List Folder/Read Data
- Traverse Folder/Executable File
- Read Extended Attributes
- Read Attributes
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Create Files/Write Data
- Write Extended Attributes
- Write Attribute
Modify folder permissions
- Launch File Explorer.
- Head to the parent folder and choose ‘Properties.’
- Now, you need to use these points for each folder on the list.
- However, it’s not that all the folders apply to every installation.
- They can apply to a specific QuickBooks version.
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v3
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v5
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\FAMXX (XX = year) C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- Go to the ‘Security‘ tab and click ‘Everyone.’
- If the ‘Everyone‘ option is not there in a group, choose ‘Add‘ and input ‘Everyone.’
- Choose ‘Full control‘ followed by ‘Apply‘ and then ‘OK.’
- Now, choose ‘Everyone.’
- Tap’ Security.’
- Click ‘Full control‘ and tap ‘Apply.’
Steps for Windows 10, 8, and 7 users
- Open File Explorer.
- Right-tap the folder with your company file.
- Select ‘Properties‘ followed by ‘Sharing.’
- Choose ‘Share Add.’
- Select the QBDBMGRN Not Running on This Computer that matches your version.
- To access complete control over the File, access the permission level.
3. Steps to grant complete control
Now you are pretty much familiar with how to install QuickBooks on a new computer. In order to grant full control, follow these steps.
- Select the folder followed by the ‘Share‘ option.
- Go to ‘Advanced Security.’
- Choose ‘Add.’
- Now, choose a principal.
- Tap’ Advanced.’
- Now, click ‘Find Now.’
- Go for the ‘User‘ and hit ‘OK.’
- Select ‘Full Control.’
- Tap ‘OK.’
4. Install the Database Server Manager
You need to use the QuickBooks Desktop Manager to confirm the current setup. You must ensure that you have installed the Quickbooks Database Server Manager in your system. With its presence, you can share your company files with other computers over the network.
5. Configure admin rights to install QuickBooks on multiple computers
Ensure that the user account with which the user signs in has Windows admin rights. The database server manager should also have admin rights.
6. Use the Database Server Manager
Post installation, the user should use the database server manager to scan the folder containing your company files. After installation, you’ll see the ‘QuickBooks company files found‘ message. Now you can access the files present in these folders via other systems through a network.
7. Enable hosting
Now you need to enable multi-use access. Ensure that the server system is the one in which you can enable this feature.
- Head to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to the ‘File‘ menu. Here, choose ‘Utilities.’
- Now, tap ‘Host multi-user access.’
- To confirm, tap ‘Yes.’
- Now the user can quickly host your company files via your network.
How Do I Install QuickBooks on a Second Computer?
Now you are intimately familiar with how to use QuickBooks on multiple computers at the same time. Installing the program on a second computer is easy when you follow these points.
- Start your second system.
- Now install the QB Desktop software.
- After that, return to your first system.
- Here, make your company file’s backup copy.
- When they are linked, copy this File to your new system through an external device.
- Now retrieve all the backup data on your new system.
It’s essential to know how to install QuickBooks properly if you plan to use it for the long term. Many QuickBooks users find themselves confused about using the software on a multi-user setup and on two computers. This article has shed light on the right process to install QB by itself as well as on another system(s)