QuickBooks is the perfect software for completing business accounting tasks very efficiently and allows users to work with multiple users using the multi-user mode. QuickBooks offers you to switch to the multi-user mode from the single-user mode. But, sometimes, you face QuickBooks Error H505 while trying to switch. An error appears on the screen, stating that – This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting. When the error occurs, it also shows the solution, which can help you fix the error easily.
But if you fail to resolve the error with the given solution. Then you have to worry. Other troubleshooting methods fix your QuickBooks H505 error. To know about them, read this blog till the end and perform your multi-user activities. This will also provide you with the proper explanations of why you are facing the error on your QuickBooks.
Repair the QuickBooks Error H505 with Easy Solutions
Here, you will be provided with methods to fix your QuickBooks error code H505. Follow them carefully; if you skip any step, you can face problems. Here we go:
Method 1: Check the Hosting
If you receive the QuickBooks error H505, you must configure one or more workstations as the QuickBooks server. You should ensure that the server (the computer that stores company files) is the only one that has multi-user mode enabled.
Disable the Host Multi-User Access option on your workstations to resolve the issue. These are the computers on your network that do not host company files. There should only be one hosting provider, and that should be your computer. Now, follow the steps below to correct the H505 error QuickBooks. But before opening the file, stop the multi-user access with the following:
- Firstly, don’t access your company file; go to the File menu, and choose Utilities.
- Then, if you see the Host Multi-User Access option, skip it and proceed to the next workstation, which one not show an error.
- At last, click on Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
After checking your Workstations go to the server computer that hosts your company file and fix the QuickBooks error H505. Here are the steps:
Also, read : quickbooks error ps077
When you check your workstations, move on to your server computer, which generally hosts your company file.
- Open your QuickBooks download on your Server Computer
- Then, go to the File menu.
- Choose Utilities.
- Now, you will see the Host Multi-User Access; select it. Don’t select the Stop Multi-User Access option.
Method 2: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager on Your Server Computer
Generally, your QuickBooks company files are mainly stored on your server computer. The other computers that are connected to your network are known as your workstations. So, you can use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager when there is an issue like QuickBooks error H505 while sharing the company file or accessing the multi-user mode. It manages your server computer and fixes the error. But the QBDBMgrn is accessible when you download the QuickBooks Tool Hub on the server computer. You can’t fix the error by having the Tool Hub on the workstation. So download and install the Tool Hub. After the download, follows the given steps to get the error fixed.
- Firstly, open the QuickBooks Tool Hub on your server computer.
- Secondly, click on the Network Issues tab, as QuickBooks error H505 is a network error.
- Click QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Now, click on the Start Scan option when you see your company file folder(s). If not, click Browse to go to your company file location and then Start Scan.
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager will fix your firewall permission automatically.
- In the next step, click on Close after the scan finishes.
- Now, open your QuickBooks on each workstation where Error H505 occurs.
- Lastly, click on File and then Switch to Multi-User Mode. You also have to check your server computer if you use it as a workstation.
Also, read : quickbooks update error 1603
Method 3: Go for Your Server Service Check
In this section, to fix the QuickBooks error H505, you have to check your Server Service by checking the QBFC Monitor Service and Quickbooks DBXX. But before fixing, if you have the full version of QuickBooks installed on the server computer, you must first enable multi-user hosting. The steps are as follows:
- To begin, start QuickBooks on your server computer.
- When QuickBooks opens, navigate to the File menu and choose Utilities.
- Select the Host Multi-User Access
When you enable Multi-User Access, ensure that your QuickBooks services are operating on your server computer. Let’s check the services and then fix QuickBooks error H505 with the following steps:
- Firstly click on Windows Start on the server compute
- Then, search for and launch the Run.
- When the Run window appears, type “services. MSc” into the field and press OK.
- Search for QuickbooksDBXX from the list and double-click it. The XX represents your QuickBooks version.
- Then, for the Startup Type, select Automatic.
- Next, check that the Service Status is Running or Started. If not, then you have to click on the Start
- Select the Recovery tab from this menu.
- Select Restart Service from each drop-down menu:
- First Failure
- Second Failure
- Subsequent Failures
- After that, click Apply and then OK to save the changes you made.
- Repeat the preceding steps for the
Now, open your QuickBooks in each workstation when you are done with the service checking. After that, click on the File menu, Switch to Multi-User Mode, and check the error.
What Cause QuickBooks Error H505?
Now, you have fixed the error, but have you ever thought about how this error occurs on your QuickBooks? Here, you get the proper explanation for why you face error H505 while switching to the multi-user mode. Here are the reasons:
- When the company file you’re trying to open is corrupted or damaged.
- Your system firewall also blocks the incoming and outgoing communication of the company file.
- Incorrect QuickBooks hosting configuration on the server hosting the company file.
- When the Database Server cannot scan QuickBooks files and folders on the server.
- When QuickBooks cannot locate the computer’s IP address.
- Corruption within the .ND files
- Incorrect Hosting Configuration settings.
- DNS settings are incorrect.
QuickBooks error H505 is a network error that mainly occurs while switching to the multi-user mode. But now you know you can fix it. The above-stated steps will help you with the error. We also present you the proper causes for the same. However, if you still encounter the same switching, reach our ProAdvisor’s using the Email or Live Chat option.