QuickBooks is undoubtedly a highly efficient accounting software. But every once in a while, it throws errors, making it difficult for users to continue their work. QuickBooks error 1328 is a common error that happens while updating or repairing QuickBooks Desktop. You receive the following message:
Error 1328. Error updating file C:\Config.Msi\PTXXX.tmp.
Reinstalling QB is one of the most effective fixes for this error. Keep reading to know what else you can do to eliminate it.
Techniques to Fix QuickBooks Error 1328
Use these resolutions to fix this error. It is likely that you will not notice it after using these measures.
Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
You first need to remove QB from your system to install quickbooks it again. Follow these steps.
- Launch the Windows Start menu.
- Look for Control Panel and open it.
- Select ‘Programs and Features.’
- Among the various programs in the list, select your QuickBooks Desktop version.
- Select ‘Uninstall/Change’ followed by ‘Remove.’
- Choose ‘Next.’
- Now install QuickBooks Desktop again.
- QuickBooks will automatically install new folders and rename them when you do so.
Rename the config.msi file.
Another way to remove error 1328 QuickBooks is to rename the config.msi file. Modify its name by adding ‘old’ at the end of it.
- Tap ‘Computer’ from the left part of the programs list.
- Next, click ‘Local Disk (C:).‘
- Tap on ‘Organize’ from the top.
- After that, pick the ‘Folder and Search Options.’
- Go below the ‘View’ tab.
- Unselect the ‘Hide Protected Operating System Files’ option.
- Click ‘Apply’ followed by ‘OK.’
- Search for the Config.msi file in the search bar at the top right part.
- Right-tap on the Config.msi file.
- Rename it by adding .OLD at its end. The name will become ‘Config.msi.OLD.’
- Restart your Windows system.
- Open QuickBooks again to check if QuickBooks update error 1328 has been fixed.
Also, read : quickbooks error code h202
Repair damaged registry entries
Use the registry repair tool to fix damaged registry entries and overcome update error 1328 in QuickBooks. Follow these pointers carefully.
- Remove all corrupt registry entries through the registry repair tool.
- Also, eliminate all hints of malware through a malware removal tool.
- Get rid of junk files and obsolete drivers in your system.
- Reinstall QuickBooks using the steps described in the first measure.
- Now run a scan using the Windows System File Checker.
- Ensure that your system has all the key Windows updates.
Employ the SFC tool
The System File Checker tool scans and resolves system errors. To run this tool, follow these points.
- Head to the Windows ‘Start’ tab, and in the search bar, input ‘cmd.’
- Instead of pressing Enter directly, hold the Shift and CTRL keys together and then press Enter.
- On the command prompt window, input ‘SFC/ scannow.’
- Now press Enter.
- Once this procedure completes, exit the running Windows.
- Now launch the QuickBooks program.
- Update the software and see if the error code resolves.
Also, read : quickbooks error 6000
Get the latest Windows updates.
QuickBooks cannot function if your Windows operating system is not up-to-date. So, use these points to update it and fix QuickBooks error 1328.
- Hit the Windows ‘Start’ menu.
- Now look for ‘windows updates’ in the field.
- An icon of windows updates will show on the screen. Click it.
- Click the button ‘Check for updates.’
- Let the updates get installed. Restart your system after that and see if you can update QuickBooks without any issues.
Employ the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
You can resolve different issues, such as QuickBooks error code 1328 by using the install diagnostic tool. To use it, you must first download the QuickBooks Tool Hub application.
- After the tool downloads fully, exit other applications operating on Windows.
- Hit the tool’s setup file present in the ‘Downloads’ folder of your computer.
- Agree to all license terms and conditions to use the utility.
- Run the program by clicking on its icon on your desktop.
- Head to the ‘Program Installation Problems’ part.
- Here, pick the QB Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Click ‘Yes’ on the EULA Agreement.
- Tap ‘Proceed’ on the window of QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool.
- The tool will begin updating your Microsoft components.
- When it completes, restart the system.
- Open and use QuickBooks.
Perform a clean installation of QuickBooks
A clean installation becomes necessary if you cannot fix QuickBooks update error 1328 after using the above fixes.
- Uninstall existing QuickBooks software from your system.
- You can choose one of these options to clean install QuickBooks.
- Install QuickBooks directly from the CD drive.
- You can also install QB through its downloaded file. In this case, you will need your product and license keys.
- Choose to install QuickBooks through any of these methods and check if the problem persists.
Fix the installation of your QuickBooks Desktop
Go for a repair of your QuickBooks Desktop if the error still persists. Here’s how to repair the software.
- Log into the Windows system as an admin.
- Use the ‘Start’ menu to go to the ‘Control Panel’ section.
- Find QuickBooks and choose to uninstall it.
- In the QuickBooks uninstaller window, click ‘Repair.’
- After QuickBooks repairs itself, try to update it. You won’t face any issues.
What Leads to QuickBooks Error 1328?
There are various causes for this update error. The main causes include the following:
- Invalid registry entries after you uninstall QB.
- Unexpected system shutdown.
- Hints of virus or malware attacks.
- The system settings are faulty.
- Your QuickBooks software is corrupt or has not been installed properly.
- Any network outage hinders the download or installation of QB. It, in turn, causes error 1328 QuickBooks.
Also, read : quickboooks downloads
Signs That Indicate QuickBooks Update Error 1328?
You can identify this QB error through various indicators. Here are the most prominent signs of this error.
- Windows is getting inactive on your system.
- You will see an error text on your screen.
- You cannot update your QuickBooks program. The update keeps stopping in the middle.
- The user cannot carry out QuickBooks repair.
- QuickBooks crashes repeatedly.
- You cannot install or uninstall QuickBooks on your system properly.
Eliminate QuickBooks Error 1328 Quickly!
Now you can update or repair QB easily after using these fixes. They address all the key reasons for this issue. But don’t feel stressed if you cannot follow these measures and resolve the error. You can take help from a QuickBooks technical expert.