QuickBooks is one of the leading accounting programs that complete small and medium-scale business accounting needs with its advanced accounting features. One feature of QuickBooks is printing invoices, checks, or other documents. But sometimes, while printing the checks or invoices, users face issues by which their QuickBooks won’t print the documents. It is a frustrating situation. If you are here, you are facing the same and want solutions to fix it. In this post, you will get the perfect solutions that eliminate and correct your QuickBooks print issue.
We have a user query who is encountering the same; first, have a sound from him and then move to fix it.
“Hi, I am Chris, an accountant, and I use QuickBooks for official purposes. But recently, when I tried to print checks from QuickBooks, QuickBooks won’t print checks. At first, I thought I didn’t give the command to print, but when I tried again, the QuickBooks not printing again. Can anyone tell what goes wrong here, and how can I fix this.”
Chris Miller – Accountant
Your QuickBooks may not print for various reasons, and you don’t have any about it. If you want to know the reasons, go with the reasons section.
Why is QuickBooks Won’t Print?
Here are the factors that are responsible for your printing issue in QuickBooks:
- When the printer’s driver Microsoft XPS is missing.
- QuickBooks is facing problems connecting to the printer.
- The printer is not compatible with QuickBooks download.
- When the paper tray is empty.
- The printer is offline or not connected.
- Because of the damaged company file.
- Improper installation of the printer.
- Not printing with the QuickBooks Admin account.
- When QuickBooks fails to transmit with the company file.
- Due to missing PDF components.
- The print driver host can’t run over a 32-bit program.
Now, you have the reasons why your QuickBooks is not printing any document. When this happens, you will face unordinary things with your QuickBooks application and the Desktop.
Symptoms You Can Face When QuickBooks is Not Printing?
You can observe the given points when QuickBooks won’t print:
- The QuickBooks crashes when printing.
- QuickBooks freezes when printing to PDF.
- QuickBooks print button does nothing; it stocks and is not operating.
- Your keyboard and mouse will respond late.
- QuickBooks takes time to respond.
- The company will not open properly.
How to Fix QuickBooks Printing Issues?
Here, you will get the solutions you can follow when QuickBooks won’t print any document. But before fixing it, you have to be sure that:
- Your QuickBooks application is updated to the latest release; if not, then Update QuickBooks.
- Your printer is appropriately connected to the computer.
- You have installed the printer’s latest driver; if not, then update them.
- There should not be any warning lights or error messages on your computer.
After getting all these things done, follow the given solutions.
Solution 1: Try to Print from Another Program
You can print from other programs when you can’t print from QuickBooks. In this solution, we will use Notepad. First, you have to ensure that you can easily print from any program besides QuickBooks. Follow the given steps and fix QuickBooks won’t print issue:
Note: In the notepad, you can copy and paste the company file, invoice, or checks and then print.
- In the first step, go to Windows Start and then search for Notepad.
- Now, type some text in the notepad.
- After that, go to the File from the top left.
- Choose Print.
- Choose the correct print to print.
- Lastly, click on Print.
If you still face printing issues, then move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Test QuickBooks Installation and Company File
You can test the QuickBooks installation and company file to fix the issue when your QuickBooks won’t print. Below are the points to fix the printing issue:
- If you are using memorized reports or customized forms, then try to print a standard report or form.
- If you print multiple forms with QuickBooks, try to print a single one. If it works, then print the forms in small batches.
- Open a QuickBooks sample company file and print the same type of report or form. If it works, then it means your file is damaged. First, repair the company file with the quickbooks file doctor and then try to print it.
Solution 3: Test the Printer Setup
The improper printer setup is one of the significant reasons why QuickBooks won’t print. So test the printer setup and then try to print once again.
Step 1: Ensure Printer is Setup Properly
- Firstly, turn off your Printer and then restart your computer.
- After restarting, turn the printer back ON.
- Now, go to Windows Start and open the Control Panel.
- Next, double-click on Printers and Faxes (For newer versions of Windows, choose Hardware and then, Devices and Printers).
- After that, if the printer shows Offline, then right-click on the Printer and select User Printer Online.
- Now, double-click on the Printer.
- If any print jobs appear in the queue, you have to choose Printer and click on Cancel All Documents.
- In the next step, close the Window.
- Afterward, right-click on the Printer and choose Properties.
- From the properties, choose Print Test Page.
Note: If your printer is a network printer and your test page didn’t work or print, then there can be network issues.
Step 2: Ensure That You Are Using Right Printer
Sometimes using the wrong one can lead you to the QuickBooks won’t print; use the right printer to print. Check with the following steps:
Also, read : quickbooks wont open
- From QuickBooks, go to the File menu.
- Then, choose Printer Setup.
- Now, ensure that the printer name matches the exact printer name which you will use. If not, then you have to correct the Print Setup within your computer first.
- Choose Help from this area to get more help on these Settings.
Step 3: Print From A Different Printer
If you can still not print and QuickBooks won’t print again, try to print using a different printer. The following are the steps:
- From QuickBooks, choose the File menu.
- After that, choose Printer Setup.
- Now, choose the form you wish to print.
- In the next step, choose a Different Printer, like an MS XP printer.
- Click on Help for more help with these Settings.
Solution 4: Use PDF & Print Repair Tool
The QuickBooks Tool Hub’s component PDF & Print Repair Tool helps you fix the QuickBooks won’t print issue. But, if you don’t have the Tool Hub, Download QuickBooks Tool Hub. If you have, then follow the given steps:
- Firstly, open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Then, choose Program Problems.
- After that, choose QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool. It will open in one minute.
- The tool will run a scan to fix the issue.
- After the scan, try to print from the QuickBooks Desktop again. You can also save the file by using the Save as PDF option and further printing it.
Solution 5: Rename the QBPrint.qbp File
If the PDF & Print Repair Tool doesn’t help, then rename the QBPrint.qbp file to fix the QuickBooks won’t print issue. Rename the file with the following:
- Firstly, locate the QBPrint.qbp file.
- Windows 10 and newer: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx (20xx represents the version of your QuickBooks.)
- Server 2012 and newer: C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks YEAR and C:\Users\**remote user**\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\ YEAR VERSION\TSPrinterSettings.
- After finding the file, rename the file and fix the QuickBooks won’t print issue:
- First, right-click on the QBPrint.qbp file and choose the Rename option.
- Afterward, type an OLD word at the end of the file name, like QBPrint.qbp.old.
- Now, open your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Go to the File menu >> Printer Setup.
- Here, choose any transaction from the Form Name list and then click on OK. Doing this creates a new QBPrint.qbp file.
Note: You don’t need to do this for each transaction.
- Lastly, try to open and then print any transaction.
Solution 6: Reinstall QuickBooks
If one of the above solutions fixes the QuickBooks won’t print issue, it’s better to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks to resolve it. It will complete the installation process with all the necessary installation files, and you can initiate the printing. Follow the given steps:
- Go to the Windows Start.
- Then, search for and open Control Panel.
- Now, choose the Programs and Features option.
- After that, click on Uninstall a Program.
- From here, choose the QuickBooks of your version and product.
- Now, choose Uninstall/Remove option and click on Next. If you do not see the Uninstall option, then sign in as an Admin and initiate uninstalling.
After the uninstallation, you have to Reinstall QuickBooks.
Now it’s time to wrap up the blog. So, we present the solutions you can follow to fix the QuickBooks printing problem. We also provide you the reasons why your QuickBooks won’t print the QuickBooks documents. While reinstalling QuickBooks, you can contact our ProAdvisors to install QuickBooks smoothly if you face any installation issues. You can also get them in case the printing error continues.